Download This Lesson (PDF, 12.33 MB)
Grade Level: 5-8
Our Solar System,
Science Education Standards: Science Objectives
• Learn to "read" pictures and write about what they notice.
• Learn to become inquirers by developing "I wonder" questions.
• Discover that volcanoes exist on Earth and in other places in the solar system.
Language Arts Objectives
• Collect, record and sort images, providing accurate and detailed descriptions of different volcanoes.
• Synthesize their scientific findings in writing - producing accurate, detailed descriptions and formulating
• Communicate with their peers to share knowledge of volcanoes using their notebooks as the source.
Short Description: Learn about volcanoes on Earth and in the solar system through the eyes of Scientist Dr. Rosaly Lopes.This lesson is part of the Through the Eyes of Scientists formal education product, and includes materials for students in grades 4-6.
Source: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Learn about volcanoes, both here on Earth and elsewhere in the solar system, through the eyes of scientist Dr. Rosaly Lopes. Investigate images of real volcanoes to compare and contrast. Develop principles of comparative planetology with volcanoes from Jupiter's volcanic moon, Io, and study and record characteristics of volcanoes.