National Aeronautics and Space Administration Logo
Follow this link to skip to the main content NASA Banner
Solar System Exploration
News & Events
Genesis Update
Genesis Update
8 Aug 2003
(Source: Jet Propulsion Laboratory)

Genesis Mission Status Update
August 8, 2003

T-plus two years since launch! The Genesis spacecraft continues its mission collecting solar wind material expelled from the Sun. Telemetry from the Genesis spacecraft indicates that all spacecraft subsystems are reporting nominal operation.

Recent solar activity has called for lower than usual array activity. The "high solar speed" collector array to be deployed 79% of the time, and the E-Array, which handles coronal mass ejections, was unshaded for the remaining 21% of the time.

Genesis Vital Statistics:
- 731 days since launch
- 239 days to planned completion of solar particle collection.
- 396 days to Genesis return to Earth.

News Archive Search  Go!
Show  results per page
Awards and Recognition   Solar System Exploration Roadmap   Contact Us   Site Map   Print This Page
NASA Official: Kristen Erickson
Advisory: Dr. James Green, Director of Planetary Science
Outreach Manager: Alice Wessen
Curator/Editor: Phil Davis
Science Writer: Autumn Burdick
Producer: Greg Baerg
Webmaster: David Martin
> NASA Science Mission Directorate
> Budgets, Strategic Plans and Accountability Reports
> Equal Employment Opportunity Data
   Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act
> Information-Dissemination Policies and Inventories
> Freedom of Information Act
> Privacy Policy & Important Notices
> Inspector General Hotline
> Office of the Inspector General
> NASA Communications Policy
> NASA Advisory Council
> Open Government at NASA
Last Updated: 15 Aug 2003