National Aeronautics and Space Administration Logo
Follow this link to skip to the main content NASA Banner
Solar System Exploration
News & Events
Genesis Update
Genesis Update
23 May 2003
(Source: Jet Propulsion Laboratory)

http://www.genesismission.org/mission/statusupdate.html

Genesis Mission Status Update
May 23, 2003

The Genesis spacecraft continues its mission collecting solar wind material expelled from the Sun. Telemetry from the Genesis spacecraft indicates the spacecraft is in overall good health and as of the morning of May 23, the spacecraft was about 1.25 million kilometers (.77 million miles) from Earth.

Recent solar activity has called for the "high solar speed" collector array to be deployed 53% of the time and the "low solar speed" array deployed for the remaining 47%. There are three collector arrays aboard Genesis that are exposed to, or hidden from, the solar wind. One collector array for each of the three solar wind regimes. Which collector array is exposed is determined by the data received by sensitive ion and electron monitors located on the spacecraft's equipment deck. These monitors scrutinize the solar wind passing by the spacecraft and relay this information to the onboard computer, which in turn commands the collector arrays to deploy and retract as needed.

The Genesis team completed an in-flight test of the spacecraft's battery. The team's battery experts will be analyzing the data over the next few weeks. Preliminary indications are that the battery has not "aged" as much as was expected.

The latest series of computer commands for Genesis were uplinked on Friday, May 16th, and went active last Tuesday, May 20.

Genesis Vital Statistics:
- 654 days since launch.
- 316 days to planned completion of solar particle collection.
- 473 days to Genesis return to Earth.

News Archive Search  Go!
Show  results per page
 
 
Awards and Recognition   Solar System Exploration Roadmap   Contact Us   Site Map   Print This Page
NASA Official: Kristen Erickson
Advisory: Dr. James Green, Director of Planetary Science
Outreach Manager: Alice Wessen
Curator/Editor: Phil Davis
Science Writer: Autumn Burdick
Producer: Greg Baerg
Webmaster: David Martin
> NASA Science Mission Directorate
> Budgets, Strategic Plans and Accountability Reports
> Equal Employment Opportunity Data
   Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act
> Information-Dissemination Policies and Inventories
> Freedom of Information Act
> Privacy Policy & Important Notices
> Inspector General Hotline
> Office of the Inspector General
> NASA Communications Policy
> USA.gov
> ExpectMore.gov
> NASA Advisory Council
> Open Government at NASA
Last Updated: 28 May 2003