Welcome to the International Planetary Probe Workshop archive. The archive captures the historical record of the ongoing series of annual planetary exploration workshops. Please contact us if you have trouble accessing the files or have presentations, posters and papers to be added to the archive. (Accessibility notice)
Since 2003, the International Planetary Probe Workshops have brought together engineers, technologists, scientists, mission designers, space agency leaders and students from around the world for collaborations focused on solar system exploration with planetary entry and descent probes.
It is worth noting that the workshop started with the specific goal of addressing issues, methodologies and technologies related to planetary entry and descent trajectory reconstruction. Over the years the scope of the workshop has expanded to included airless body landers. The scope of the workshop does not include flyby spacecraft, and in general do not include surface science or surface mobility.
The long-standing goals of the workshops are to:
- Review the state-of-the-art in science, mission design, engineering implementation and technologies for the in situ robotic exploration of solar system bodies.
- Share ideas, mission opportunities, and emerging technologies to enable future mission success.
- Serve as a forum for discussions on innovative methodologies and techniques for upcoming entry/descent probe and surface science missions.
- Attract early career scientists and engineers to the fields of planetary probe entry and descent, flight in planetary atmospheres, and exploration on other worlds, and provide the opportunity to learn from experienced researchers and practitioners.
- Foster international collaboration among the communities of scientists, engineers, and mission designers with an interest in planetary probes and landers.
This year's IPPW will be held 15-19 June 2015 in Cologne, Germany:
12th International Planetary Probe Workshop - IPPW-12
Previous IPPW Workshops
IPPW-11 - 2014 - Pasadena, California (Under Construction)
IPPW-10 - 2013 - San Jose, California
IPPW-9 - 2012 - Toulouse, France
IPPW-8 - 2011 - Portsmouth, Virginia
IPPW-7 - 2010 - Barcelona, Spain
IPPW-6 - 2008 - Atlanta, Georgia
IPPW-5 - 2007 - Bordeaux, France
IPPW-4 - 2006 - Pasadena, California
IPPW-3 - 2005 - Anavyssos, Attica, Greece
IPPW-2 - 2004 - Mountain View, California
IPPW-1 - 2003 - Lisbon, Portugal