Download This Lesson
Short Description: Students count squares on a Bizarro Star to study the transit of a planet, and determine the diameter of the planet. This demonstrates the basic principle used by NASA's Kepler satellite to search for Earth-sized planets orbiting distant stars.
Discovering New Worlds,
Grade Level: 5-8
Beyond Our Solar System
Astrophysics Missions (Beyond Our Solar System)
Science Education Standards:
By the end of the 5th grade, students should know that
- Changes in speed or direction of motion are caused by forces. 4F/E1a
- The greater the force is, the greater the change in motion will be. The more massive an object is, the less effect a given force will have. 4F/E1bc
By the end of 8th grade, students should know that
- An unbalanced force acting on an object changes its speed or direction of motion, or both. 4F/M3a
- If a force acts towards a single center, the object's path may curve into an orbit around the center. 4F/M3b
National Science Education Standards
PHYSICAL SCIENCE -- CONTENT STANDARD B
Motions and Forces
- The motion of an object can be described by its position, direction of motion and speed. That motion can be measured and represented on a graph.
- An object that is not being subjected to a force will continue to move at a constant speed and in a straight line.
- If more than one force acts on an object along a straight line, then the forces will reinforce or cancel one another, depending on their direction and magnitude. Unbalanced forces will cause changes in the speed or direction of an object's motion.